Wegmans Food Markets Recalls Chicken Products Produced Without Benefit Of Inspection
Class I Recall003-2016
Health Risk: HighJan 5, 2016
Congressional and Public Affairs
WASHINGTON, Jan. 5, 2016 – Wegmans Food Markets Inc., a Rochester, N.Y. establishment, is recalling approximately 1,125 pounds of chicken products that were produced without the benefit of federal inspection, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The chicken items were produced on Jan. 3, 2016. The following products are subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF Only)]
• Approximately 1-lb. vacuum-sealed packages containing “Wegmans Italian Flavored Chicken Breast Cutlet” with a use-by date of 1/24/2016.
• Approximately 1-lb. vacuum-sealed packages containing “Wegmans Brown Sugar Barbecue Seasoned Chicken Breast Cutlet” with a use-by date of 1/15/2016.
• 3-lb. vacuum-sealed packages containing “Wegmans Garlic & Fennel Whole Chicken Roaster” with a use-by date of 1/13/2016.
• 1-lb. vacuum-sealed packages containing “Wokery Sherry Chicken 27482” with use-by date of 1/13/2016.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. or P-7567” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were shipped to distribution and retail locations in Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania, and Virginia.
The problem was discovered by FSIS inspection personnel during a review of establishment records. The inspector found that the establishment changed their production schedule, producing these products outside the approved hours of operation.
There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about a reaction should contact a healthcare provider.
Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be returned to the place of purchase for a full refund.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls.
Consumers with questions about the recall should call Wegmans Consumer Affairs Department at 1-(800)-934-6267, ext. 4760. Media with questions can contact Jo Natale, Vice President of Media Relations, at 585-429-3627.
Consumers with food safety questions can “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2016/recall-003-2016-release
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.629.7263.