Voluntary Recall on Piggly Wiggly Brand Yellow Cut Corn
For Immediate Release
May 12, 2016
McCall Farms Consumer Affairs
View Product Photos
EFFINGHAM, S.C., PRNewswire — As part of the CRF Frozen Foods recall, McCall Farms Incorporated is notifying consumers that it is recalling Piggly Wiggly brand frozen Yellow Cut Corn due to the potential risk that it may contain Listeria monocytogenes. McCall Farms was notified by its supplier, CRF Frozen Foods, of this potential contamination. No other McCall Farms products have been affected by this recall.
Listeria monocytongenes is an organism which can cause mild to severe illness and sometimes be fatal to persons who consume contaminated food. People at greatest risk are newborn infants, the elderly and those with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headaches, abdominal pain, stiffness and nausea, Listeriainfections can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Further information about the CRF Frozen Foods recall can be found on the FDA website at: http://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls/ucm499406.htm
Piggly Wiggly has been notified of this issue and has removed all potentially affected products from its stores.
The recall applies to:
• Piggly Wiggly brand Frozen Yellow Cut Corn in a 2 lb bag
UPC number: 4129075181
Lot Code: CORN0J14FXA
In the event a consumer has this product, they are urged not to consume it and to dispose of it properly.
McCall Farms takes food safety very seriously and apologizes for any concern and inconvenience that this incident may have caused. For additional information contact McCall Farms consumer affairs line at: 1-800-277-2012 from 8am – 5pm Eastern.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm500859.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery