The Quaker Oats Company Issues Voluntary Recall of Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars Due to Possible Health Risk, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
The Quaker Oats Company Issues Voluntary Recall of Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars Due to Possible Health Risk
For Immediate Release
May 16, 2016
The Quaker Oats Company, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, Inc., today announced a voluntary recall of a small quantity of Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars after an ingredient supplier was found to have distributed sunflower kernels that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes (L.mono). There have been no reported illnesses to date. However, Quaker is initiating the voluntary recall in an abundance of caution to protect public health.
Listeria monocytogenes (L.mono) is an organism, which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
While the vast majority of potentially affected Quaker products were withheld from ever reaching retail shelves, the products being recalled were distributed nationwide and are as follows:
• 6.1 ounce boxes of Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars Chocolate Nut Medley with UPC code 30000 32241 and Best Before Dates of: 10/16/2016, 10/17/2016
• 6.1 ounce boxes of Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars Yogurt, Fruit & Nut with UPC 30000 32243 and Best
Before Dates of: 10/10/2016, 10/11/2016
Pictures of the products listed above will be available on www.quakeroats.com.
At this time there are no other Quaker products involved in this situation. The company is working closely with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to further investigate this issue, but in the meantime is taking these actions out of commitment to and concern for consumers.
Consumers who have purchased either of the above products are urged to dispose of or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. They can also direct any questions to 800-856-5781, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (EST), or find more information at www.quakeroats.com.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm501248.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery