As the summer comes to an end and schools prepare for the new year, all of our summer meal sites deserve a big thank you for working to alleviate child hunger in the state of Kentucky.
Kentucky has a statewide poverty rate of 16.8%, including more than 200,000 children (Feeding America’s Map the Meal Gap), and houses four of the top ten poorest counties in the United States (US Census, 2014). As a result of the partnership between the USDA, God’s Pantry Food Bank, and our 24 summer meal sites for 2016, we are working to reduce those numbers and ensure that children receive proper nutrition during the summer months.
Although all summer totals are not in yet, thank you to all of the following summer meal sites for helping us serve 6,087 meals and 2,709 snacks so far!
- Grace Bible Church, Clark County
- Red Bird Mission, Clay County
- Estill County Extension Office, Estill County
- St. Timothy Outreach, Estill County
- Mt. Carmel Christian Church, Estill County
- Estill County Housing Authority, Estill County
- Consolidated Baptist Church, Fayette County
- Diocese of Lexington Reading Camp, Fayette County
- E7 Kids Cafe, Fayette County
- Embrace Methodist Church/Common Good, Fayette County
- Shiloh Baptist Church, Fayette County
- Village Branch Library, Fayette County
- Christ Way Assembly of God, Fleming County
- Lewis County Public Library and its four mobile sites, Lewis County
- Owsley County Public Library, Owsley County
- New Life Church, Pulaski County
- Community Outreach Center, Rockcastle County
- Triplett View Apartments, Rowan County
- Faith Baptist Church, Scott County
- My Church of Georgetown, Scott County
See you again next year for healthy summer meals!