Sincerely Nuts Recalls Raw Macadamia Nuts Because of Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – September 2, 2015 – Brooklyn, NY –Sincerely Nuts Inc. of Brooklyn, NY, is recalling packages of Sincerely Nuts Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Whole and Sincerely Nuts Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Unsalted Halves and Pieces because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The affected Sincerely Nuts Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Whole and Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Unsalted Halves and Pieceswere distributed nationwide via online sales through the company’s website www.sincerelynuts.com from June 16, 2015 through August 10, 2015, and at www.amazon.com.
The recalled product was packed in clear, flexible plastic packages:
• Sincerely Nuts Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Whole was sold in 1 lb., 2 lb. and 5 lb. packages bearing Lot Number T7R1A22045 and EXPIRES: 1/2016 stamped on the back label.
• Sincerely Nuts Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Unsalted Halves and Pieces come in 2 lb. packages bearing EXPIRES:11/2015 stamped on the back label (there is no lot code). New product will have a lot number.
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
The recall is a result of routine testing by a contracted private laboratory which revealed the presence of Salmonella in the 2 lb. packages of Sincerely Nuts Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Whole and Sincerely Nuts Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Unsalted Halves and Pieces. Production of the product has been suspended while FDA and the company continue their investigation as to the source of the problem.
Consumers who have purchased Sincerely Nuts Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Whole and Sincerely Nuts Macadamia Nuts (Raw) Unsalted Halves and Pieces are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-888-272-8780, Monday – Friday, 9:00 am – 3:00 pm, EST.
RSS Feed for FDA Recalls Information [what’s this?]
Photo: Product Labels
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm461010.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.629.7263.