When a company announces a recall, market withdrawal, or safety alert, the FDA posts the company’s announcement as a public service. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Nonna Foods Issues Allergy Alert on Undeclared Milk in Lidia’s Marinara Sauce
For Immediate Release
March 9, 2017
Nonna Foods in Woodbury, New York, is voluntarily recalling 25 ounce jars labeled as Lidia’s Marinara Sauce bearing a Best By Date 06/13/2019, because the product may contain undeclared milk. People who have an allergy to milk run the risk of serious or life-threatening allergic reaction if they consume this product.
The affected jars labeled as Lidia’s Marinara Sauce were distributed to distributors and retail stores located in the following states: New York; New Jersey; Connecticut; Rhode Island; New Hampshire; Massachusetts, Maine; Vermont, Pennsylvania; Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, Washington DC, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, Florida, Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Illinois, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, Arkansas, Iowa, Minnesota, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, and Montana.
The product is packaged in NET WT 25 ounce glass jars with metal lids, and contains the following codes:
- Best By Date 06/13/2019 (found on the neck of the jar)
- UPC code 897712001018 (found on back below Nutrition Facts panel)
No other lots, codes or products are affected by this recall.
No consumer complaints or illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this issue.
The recall was initiated after it was discovered that a small percentage of Lidia’s Vodka Sauce jars, which contain milk, was incorrectly labeled with the Lidia’s Marinara Sauce label. Lidia’s Marinara Sauce does not contain milk. Subsequent investigation showed that the issue was caused by the application of incorrect labels during the packaging process and was an isolated incident, limited to approximately 750 jars. The matter has been corrected and the firm has instituted corrective measures.
Consumers who have purchased the affected product are urged not to consume it and return to place of purchase for full refund, or to contact Cynthia Raneri at L & S Packing Co. for product exchange or full refund, by telephone at (800) 447-1718, Monday – Friday, 9:00AM to 5:00 PM EST.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: https://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm545896.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery