Recall Notice: Fresh Express Announces Precautionary Recall of a Limited Quantity of 9 oz. Hearts of Romaine Salad Due to Possible Allergen Exposure, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
When a company announces a recall, market withdrawal, or safety alert, the FDA posts the company’s announcement as a public service. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Fresh Express Announces Precautionary Recall of a Limited Quantity of 9 oz. Hearts of Romaine Salad Due to Possible Allergen Exposure
For Immediate Release
December 21, 2016
Fresh Express Consumer Response Center
Orlando, FL – Fresh Express Incorporated is voluntarily conducting a precautionary recall of 100 cases of 9 oz. Fresh Express Hearts of Romaine Salad, distributed in Maryland with Product Codes of H34711A or H34711B and Use-By Date of December 27, due to possible exposure to undeclared allergens (egg, milk, wheat, and anchovy). Fresh Express representatives are coordinating with retailers to ensure the recalled product is removed from store shelves.
No illnesses are reported. No other Fresh Express products are included in this recall.
Discovery that a single condiment packet for Fresh Express Greek Caesar Salad was mistakenly added to a Fresh Express Hearts of Romaine Salad necessitated the recall. Although the condiments are in a separate clear packet and labeled “Greek Caesar,” ingredients for the condiments are not listed on the package label so consumers may not be aware that certain allergens (egg, milk, wheat, and anchovy) could potentially be present.
To safeguard the health and wellbeing of consumers, Fresh Express is voluntarily recalling product that could mistakenly contain a condiment packet during this isolated incident. In some individuals, the consumption of an undisclosed allergen could be life-threatening.
Fresh Express takes all matters of food safety very seriously, including the issue of allergens. Company procedures and programs stringently follow all mandated regulations and focus on preventive measures designed to minimize potential risks. Fresh Express is coordinating closely with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is conducting a full investigation into this isolated event.
Consumers in possession of the recalled product should discard it. A refund is available where purchased or by contacting the Fresh Express Consumer Response Center toll-free at (800) 242-5472 during the hours of 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern time.
Recalled Product Details
- Fresh Express Hearts of Romaine Salad – 9 oz. bag
- Product Codes of H34711A or H34711B and Use-By Date of December 27, located in the upper right hand corner on the front of the bag
- UPC Code of 0 71279 26102 7 located on the reverse side of the bag by the bar code
Recalled Product Distribution
Fresh Express Precautionary Recall, 9 oz. Hearts of Romaine Salad
(No other Fresh Express Salads are included in this recall)
|BRAND||PRODUCT NAME||SIZE||UPC||PRODUCTION CODE||BEST IF USED BY DATE||POSSIBLE DISTRIBUTION STATES|
|Fresh Express||Hearts of Romaine Salad||9 oz.||0 71279 26102 7||H34711A, H34711B||27-Dec||MD|
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm534407.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery