Cesina Sausage Company Recalls Pork Product Due To Misbranding
Class I Recall 083-2017
Health Risk: High Jul 20, 2017
Congressional and Public Affairs
Gabrielle N. Johnston
WASHINGTON, July 20, 2017 – Cesina Sausage Company, an Aliquippa, Penn. establishment, is recalling approximately 10 pounds of pork sausage product due to misbranding, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The product label identifies this product as ready-to-eat (RTE), when in fact this product is not-ready-to-eat (NRTE).
The pork kolbassi (sausage) item was produced on June 22, 2017. The following product is subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF Only)]
- 1-lb. vacuumed packed packages of “CESINA’S BRAND FULLY COOKED • SMOKED PORK KOLBASSI”.
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. 5073” inside the USDA mark of inspection. This item was shipped to a local grocery store in Aliquippa, Pennsylvania.
The problem was discovered when a retail customer noticed that the product label was incorrect.
There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of this product. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
Consumers who have purchased this product are urged not to consume it. This product should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls.
Consumers and media with questions about the recall can contact William Costanza, Owner, at (724) 375-2450.
Consumers with food safety questions can “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.
* We believe that none of the product being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2017/recall-083-2017-release