Oscar’s Hickory House Recalls Beef Jerky Product Due To Processing Deviation
Class I Recall037-2015
Health Risk: HighMar 1, 2015
Congressional and Public Affairs
WASHINGTON, March 1, 2015 – Oscar’s Hickory House Inc., a Warrensburg, N.Y. establishment, is recalling approximately 32 pounds of beef jerky product due to a processing deviation, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.
The following product is subject to recall:[Label]
• 4-oz and 8 oz. cryovac packages of “Oscar’s Adirondack Mountain Smokehouse Beef Jerky” with code 420 on the label
The product, which bears the establishment number “EST. 4257” inside the USDA mark of inspection, was produced on December 26, 2014 and sold by one retailer in New York. The product was also sold via the internet.
The problem was discovered by FSIS inspectors during a food safety assessment; it was found that the product is susceptible to environmental pathogens and therefore potentially harmful if consumed.
FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of the product. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers. When available, the retail distribution list(s) will be posted on the FSIS website at www.fsis.usda.gov/recalls.
Consumers and media with questions about the recall can contact Joq Quintal at (518) 623-3431 ext. 2.
Consumers with food safety questions can “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2015/recall-037-2015-release
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.629.7263.