OLMA-XXI, Inc. Recalls Norven Herring in Oil Because of Possible Health Risk
For Immediate Release
April 14, 2016
View Product Photos
OLMA-XXI, Inc. of Brooklyn, NY, is recalling NORVEN herring in oil, Lot 530611, because it has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
NORVEN herring in oil was distributed to distributors and retail stores in NY, NJ, CT, IL, PA, MA, MD, VA, FL, and CA.
The affected NORVEN herring in oil is packaged in plastic containers (tubs):
• Net Wt. 17.6 oz. (500g), UPC barcode 856687004196; Lot # 530611, Best before: 10/27/16 (stamped on bottom label);
• Net Wt. 10.6 oz. (300g), UPC barcode 856687004189; Lot # 530611, Best before: 10/27/16 (stamped on bottom label).
No illnesses have been reported to date.
The recall is the result of sampling and testing by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) which revealed the presence of Listeria monocytogenes in the 17.6 oz. (500g) packages of NORVEN Herring in oil, Lot # 530611. The distribution of the product has been suspended while FDA and the company continue to investigate the source of the problem.
Consumers who have purchased plastic containers of Norven herring in oil, Lot 530611, are urged not to consume this product and to return it to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-718-675-0706, Monday – Friday, 8 am – 6 pm, EDT.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm496275.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery