New York Style Sausage Co. Recalls Pork Products Due To Misbranding
Class II Recall005-2016
Health Risk: LowJan 8, 2016
Congressional and Public Affairs
WASHINGTON, Jan. 8, 2016 – New York Style Sausage Co., a Sunnyvale, Calif. establishment, is recalling approximately 4,040 pounds of pork sausage products due to misbranding, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The products are encased in sheep casings, which are not declared on the product label and may elicit allergic reactions in those allergic to sheep proteins.
The pork sausage item was produced on various dates between July 1, 2015 and Jan.7, 2016. The following product is subject to recall: [View Label]
• 5-lb. bulk boxes containing packages of “Golden Gate Meat Company Ernesto’s Pork Sausage.”
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. 9027” inside the USDA mark of inspection. This item was produced for a single distributor in California for institutional use.
The problem was discovered when a customer observed pork sausage labels that did not declare sheep casings on the finished product label. The establishment then notified FSIS.
There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
Consumers who have purchased these products are urged not to consume them. These products should be thrown away or returned to the place of purchase.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers or members of the media with questions about the recall can contact Pasquale Bitonti, New York Style Sausage Co. Vice President and Chief Operating Officer, at (408) 745-7675.
Consumers with food safety questions can “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2016/recall-005-2016-release
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.629.7263.