Master Herbs, Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Licorice Coughing Liquid Due to the Presence of Morphine, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
Master Herbs, Inc. Issues Voluntary Nationwide Recall of All Lots of Licorice Coughing Liquid Due to the Presence of Morphine
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
For Immediate Release
January 20, 2016
Master Herbs, Inc.
Firm Press Release
View Product Photos
Pomona, CA, Master Herbs, Inc. is voluntarily recalling ALL LOTS of Licorice Coughing Liquid, cough syrup in 100 ml bottles to the consumer level. This product has been found to contain morphine, which is an opioid, and it is not declared on the label. Opioid is an ingredient of Compound Camphor. Compound Camphor is declared on the label of the product, but not its ingredients.
Consumers using this product may not be aware they are ingesting morphine. The unware ingestion of morphine can lead to life-threatening respiratory depression and death. Because the morphine contained in this product is not identified on the label there is a risk that patients who are hypersensitive to morphine could suffer severe allergic reactions. In addition young children with a respiratory illness are vulnerable to respiratory depression from opioids and should not be exposed to morphine in any event. To this date Master Herbs, Inc. is not aware of adverse events associated with use of the product.
The product is used for the temporary relief of cough due to cold, minor throat and bronchial irritations. The product can also be identified by the Chinese Product Name: The product was distributed to Chinese grocery stores in various cities in California, New Jersey, Hawaii, Illinois, Ohio and Nevada.
Master Herbs, Inc. is notifying its distributors and customers by phone or fax and is arranging for return of all recalled products. Consumers that have product which is being recalled should stop using the product and return it to place of purchase. Retailer and wholesalers should stop distributing the product, quarantine any remaining inventory and make arrangements to return the product.
Consumers with questions regarding this recall can contact Master Herbs, Inc. by phone at 626-319-9915 Monday through Friday from 10:00am – 5:00pm PST or anytime via email at email@example.com. Consumers should contact their physician or healthcare provider if they believe they have experienced any adverse events related with use of this product.
Adverse reactions or quality problems experienced with the use of this product may be reported to the FDA’s MedWatch Adverse Event Reporting program either online, by regular mail or by fax.
• Complete and submit the report Online: www.fda.gov/medwatch/report.htm
• Regular Mail or Fax: Download form www.fda.gov/MedWatch/getforms.htm or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178.
This recall is being conducted with the knowledge of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm482524.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.629.7263.