Kayem Foods Inc. Recalls Chicken Sausage Products Due To Misbranding
Class II Recall006-2016
Health Risk: LowJan 16, 2016
Congressional and Public Affairs
WASHINGTON, Jan. 16, 2016 – Kayem Foods Inc., a Chelsea, Mass. establishment, is recalling approximately 22,182 pounds of chicken sausage products due to misbranding, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The products bear the incorrect nutritional labeling information and are encased in pork casings, which are not declared on the label and may elicit allergic reactions in those allergic to pork proteins.
The chicken sausage items were produced on Nov. 4, 2015. The following product is subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF Only)]
• 12-oz. vacuum-packed packages containing “al fresco SWEET APPLE CHICKEN SAUSAGE” bearing identification code “308 BW12 USE/FRZ BY FEB 7, 2016.”
The products subject to recall bear establishment number “EST. P-7839” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items were shipped to retail locations nationwide.
The problem was discovered after the firm received consumer complaints that the product listed nutritional information for a different product, “al fresco Apple Maple Breakfast” sausages.
There have been no confirmed reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of this product. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers with questions about the recall can contact Brenda Navaroli, Customer Service Manager, at 1-(800) 426-6100. Media with questions about the recall can contact Molly Kravitz, Public Relations Manager, at (617) 521-5431.
Consumers with food safety questions can “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2016/recall-006-2016-release
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at [email protected] or 312.629.7263.