SUMMER FEEDING PROGRAMS
CLICK HERE TO READ COUNTY BY COUNTY PROGRAM LIST, LOCATIONS, DATES and TIMES.
During the school year in Central and Eastern Kentucky, thousands of children receive free or reduced-priced meals through the National School Lunch & Breakfast Program. When school is out during the summer months, however, only a few receive free or reduced-price meals through the USDA Summer Food Service Program. This gap in summer to school-time participants is the result of various barriers experienced only during the summer, including a lack of access to meal sites, insufficient program awareness, and limited resources when schools are closed.
God’s Pantry Food Bank operates several programs, and partner with other organizations, during the summer that seek to close this gap. These programs help meet the needs of low-income children and their families who face hunger in the summer by providing them with nutritious meals and snacks when school is not in session.
The Food Bank summer programs include BackPack programs, School Pantry programs and meal programs like Kids Cafe®.
When school is out of session, community meal programs make up the majority of food distributed. These programs typically receive reimbursement through the USDA Summer Food Service Program for meals provided to eligible children. Last year, the Feeding America network served 5.7 million meals to more than 178,000 hungry children through the Summer Food Service Program, which represents a 15% growth in meals distributed from the previous summer.
- Grace Bible Church (250 N. Main St., Winchester). July 29-August 14. Lunch 12-12:30 PM. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Red Bird Mission (70 Queendale Ctr., Beverly). June 12-July 21. Lunch 11:15-11:45 AM. Snack 2:15-2:45 PM. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Flemingsburg Assembly of God (271 Mt. Sterling Ave., Flemingsburg). May 21-August 9. Breakfast Sundays 9:15-9:45 AM and Supper Wednesday 4:30-5:30 PM.
- Hillsboro Area Food Pantry (85 Denton St., Hillsboro). May 26-August 4. Lunch Fridays 12-1 PM.
- Bar Y (5757 Versailles Road). May 30-August 11. Snack 9:00-9:30 AM and 4:00-4:30 PM. Monday-Friday. Closed July 4.
- Consolidated Baptist Church (1625 Russell Cave Rd.) June 19-June 23. Supper 6:45-7:45 PM. Monday-Friday. July 10-July 14. Breakfast 8:00-8:30 AM and Lunch 12-1 PM. Monday-Friday.
- Diocese of Lexington Mission House. (203 East Fourth St.) June 12-16. Breakfast 8:30-9:00 AM. Lunch 12:00-12:30 PM. Monday-Friday.
- E7 Kids Cafe (530 N. Martin Luther King Blvd.). June 5-August 4. Lunch 12 N-1 PM. Snack 3:30-4:00 PM. Monday-Friday. Closed during the week of July 3-July 7.
- Embrace UMC (1015 N. Limestone St.) June 5-July 13. Lunch 1:00-1:30 PM. Monday-Thursday. Closed July 4.
- High Street Family YMCA (239 East High Street). June 1-August 11. Snack 9:00-9:30 AM and 2:00-4:00. Monday-Friday. Closed July 4.
- North Branch Family YMCA (381 West Loudon Ave.). May 30-August 11. Snack 8:30-9:00 AM and 2-4 PM. Monday-Friday. Closed July 4.
- Northside Branch Library (1733 Russell Cave Rd.). June 5-July 27. Snack 3:30-4:30 PM Monday-Thursday. Closed July 4.
- Shiloh Baptist Church (237 East Fifth St.). June 19-23. Supper 5:15-6:00 PM. Monday-Friday.
- Whitaker Family YMCA (2681 Old Rosebud Rd.) May 30-August 11. Snack 8-10 AM and 2-3 PM. Monday-Friday. Closed July 4.
- Clearfield Baptist Church (909 McBrayer Rd., Clearfield). May 19-July 28. Lunch 11 AM-1 PM. Fridays only.
- Triplett View Apartments (1100 Triplett View Rd., Morehead). May 15-July 26. Lunch 11 AM-12:30 PM. Mondays and Wednesdays only.
- Brodhead Baptist Church (360 Silver St., Brodhead). June 11-15. Supper 6:00-7:30 PM. Sunday-Thursday.
- Community Outreach Center (36 Castle Village Dr., Brodhead). June 1-August 3. Lunch 2-4 PM. Thursdays only.
- Fairview Baptist Church (520 Fairview Loop Rd., Mt. Vernon). June 18-June 23. Supper 5:45-7:15 PM. Sunday-Friday.
- Church of the Resurrection. (3220 Lexington Rd., Nicholasville). July 24-28. Breakfast 8:30-9:00 AM. Lunch 12:00-12:30 PM. Monday-Friday.
- Owsley County Public Library (701 KY Highway 11, Booneville). May 11-August 9. Snacks 3:30-4:30 Monday-Friday; serving until 6:00 PM on Thursdays. Closed May 29 and July 4.
- Lewis County Public Library (27 Third St., Vanceburg). May 22-July 29. Lunch 12-1 PM Monday-Friday and Snack 3-4 PM Monday-Tuesday-Thursday-Friday. Breakfast 9-10 AM Saturdays. Closed May 29 and July 4.
Please CLICK HERE to view a PDF of available Summer Feeding Programs – sites and information in Fayette County.
Use the partner agency Locator to contact your local hunger relief organization and find out what it is doing to solve hunger in your community.
Need More Information?
For additional information on the Summer Food Program or any of Feeding America’s child hunger programs contact Katie Landon – Youth Services & Nutrition Coordinator. 859-288-5316
To help God’s Pantry Food Bank’s mission to end hunger, donate to the cause where your $10 can provide more than 80 meals.