Hershey Issues Voluntary Recall of SoFit Products Due to Expanded Supplier Recall of Sunflower Seeds, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
Hershey Issues Voluntary Recall of SoFit Products Due to Expanded Supplier Recall of Sunflower Seeds
For Immediate Release
June 6, 2016
Hershey, Pa. — The Hershey Company (NYSE:HSY) has issued a voluntary recall of three products sold under the SoFit brand after a supplier who provides sunflower seeds for the products expanded its recall on June 1.
The supplier SunOpta issued a recall after discovering that it produced sunflower seeds that may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
Although there have been no reports of illness, Hershey is issuing the recall out of an abundance of caution.
The recalled SoFit products include a sunflower seed item as well as an almond and a pumpkin seed item produced on the same manufacturing equipment.
The recalled SoFit products are:
• SoFit Protein Plus Sunflower Seeds Sea Salt with the following date codes: 72H, 72J, 79P, 82F, 82G, 82K, 82L
• SoFit Protein Plus Pumpkin Seeds Sesame Garlic with the following date codes: 73B, 73C, 81P, 81R
• SoFit Protein Plus Almonds Jalapeno Garlic with the following date codes: 72R, 73A, 79R, 82C, 82D
No other Hershey products or products sold under the Sofit brand are affected.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism, which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in pregnant women, young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria monocytogenes infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Consumers who have purchased any of the above products should not consume the products and are urged to destroy them.
This recall is being conducted with the knowledge and cooperation of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration.
Consumers with questions may contact Hershey Relations directly throughwww.askhershey.com or by calling 1-800-468-1714.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm506038.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery