Health Matters America Inc. Issues Nationwide Recall of Sprouted Flax Seed Powder and Sprouted Chia & Flax Seed Powder Because of Possible Health Risk, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
Health Matters America Inc. Issues Nationwide Recall of Sprouted Flax Seed Powder and Sprouted Chia & Flax Seed Powder Because of Possible Health Risk
For Immediate Release
February 20, 2016
Health Matters America Inc.
View Product Photos
Health Matters America of Cheektowaga, NY, is recalling specific lots of Organic traditions SPROUTED FLAX SEED POWDER and Organic traditions SPROUTED CHIA & FLAX SEED POWDER because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
Organic traditions Sprouted Chia Seed Powder and Organic traditions Sprouted Chia & Flax Seed Powder were distributed nationwide in flexible plastic bags.
Here is a list of the recalled products and lots:
• Organic traditions SPROUTED FLAX SEED POWDER, NET WT. 8 oz./227g, UPC barcode 854260006261; Lots AHM626151103 Exp. 09/2017, AHM626151229 Exp.10/2017 (lot number located near UPC barcode on back of bag);
• Organic traditions SPROUTED CHIA & FLAX SEED POWDER, NET WT. 8 oz./227g; UPC barcode 854260006216; Lots AHM621151217 Exp. 10/2017; AHM621151229 Exp. 10/2017 (lot number located near UPC barcode on back of bag);
• Organic traditions SPROUTED CHIA & FLAX SEED POWDER, NET WT. 16oz./454g bag, UPC barcode 854260005479; Lot AHM547151217 Exp. 10/2017 (lot number located near UPC barcode on back of bag).
No illnesses have been reported to date.
Random samples taken by Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) from retail stores in Canada tested positive for Salmonella. CFIA then notified the supplier. Health Matters America Inc. had received the affected lots. As soon as Health Matters America was made aware of this situation by their supplier, the company ceased packaging and distribution of the lots. The FDA, CFIA and Health Matters America continue their investigation as to what caused the problem.
Consumers who purchased the affected products/lots should return them to place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company by phone at 1(888) 343-3278, Monday to Friday, 9 am to 5 pm, or by e-mail at:firstname.lastname@example.org.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm487043.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at email@example.com or 312.629.7263.