Fresh Express Announces Precautionary Recall of a Limited Quantity of Chopped Romaine Salad Due to Undeclared Allergens, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
Fresh Express Announces Precautionary Recall of a Limited Quantity of Chopped Romaine Salad Due to Undeclared Allergens
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
For Immediate Release
February 6, 2016
(800) 242-5472 (M-F 8am – 7pm EST)
Donna Watkins (512) 266-0832
Firm Press Release
Salinas, California – Fresh Express Incorporated is announcing a precautionary recall of a limited quantity of 32-ounce Fresh Express Chopped Romaine with a Product Code of G034A06A and Use-By Date of February 19 due to a possible exposure to undeclared allergens. Fresh Express representatives are already coordinating with stores to remove the recalled product from retail stores where distributed, primarily in Eastern and Southeastern states. No other Fresh Express products are included in this recall.
No illnesses are reported.
The recall was necessitated when it was learned that sealed condiment packets containing individual packets of dressing, croutons and parmesan cheese used in the brand’s Caesar salads were mistakenly placed in a limited quantity of the chopped romaine product. Ingredients in the individual packets include milk, eggs, wheat and fish and even though the individual packets are enclosed in another sealed package, Fresh Express issued a recall out of an abundance of caution to protect the health and well-being of consumers who may be at risk from exposure to undeclared allergens.
Fresh Express takes all matters of food safety very seriously. Company procedures and programs stringently follow all mandated regulations and focus on preventive measures designed to minimize potential risks. Fresh Express products with condiments that may contain allergens are properly labeled in accordance with the law. Fresh Express is coordinating with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, has conducted an investigation into this isolated event and is implementing corrective steps to prevent future occurrences.
Consumers in possession of the recalled product should discard it. A refund is available where purchased or by contacting the Fresh Express Consumer Response Center toll-free at (800) 242-5472 during the hours of 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Time.
Recalled Product Details
- Fresh Express Chopped Romaine – 32-ounce bag • Product Code of G034A06A and Use-By Date of February 19 located in the upper right hand corner on the front of the bag • UPC Code of 0 7127926100 3 located on the reverse side of the bag by the bar code
Recalled Product Distribution Fresh Express Precautionary Recall, Chopped Romaine – 2/06/16 (No other Fresh Express Salads are included in this recall)
|BRAND||PRODUCT NAME||SIZE||UPC||PRODUCTION CODE||BEST IF USED BY DATE||POSSIBLE DISTRIBUTION STATES|
|Fresh Express||Chopped Romaine||32 oz.||071279261003||G034A06A||19-Feb||CT, DE, FL, GA, MA, ME, MD, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA|
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm485126.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.629.7263.