Fresh Express Announces Precautionary Recall of a Limited Quantity of 12 oz. Baby Spinach Due to Possible Allergen Exposure, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
Fresh Express Announces Precautionary Recall of a Limited Quantity of 12 oz. Baby Spinach Due to Possible Allergen Exposure
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
For Immediate Release
January 15, 2016
Fresh Express Consumer Response Center
Firm Press Release
View Product Photos
Fresh Express Incorporated is voluntarily issuing a precautionary recall of 350 cases of 12 oz. Fresh Express Baby Spinach with a Product Code of G010A17A and Use-By Date of January 24 due to a possible exposure to a tree nut allergen (almond). Fresh Express representatives are already coordinating with stores to remove the recalled product from retail stores where distributed, primarily in Eastern and Southeastern states. No other Fresh Express products are included in this recall.
No illnesses are reported.
The recall was necessitated when a portion of a single almond was inadvertently introduced into the production supply. In order to safeguard the health and wellbeing of consumers, Fresh Express is conducting a precautionary recall of product that could have come into contact with the almond during this isolated incident. In some individuals the consumption of an undisclosed allergen, such as tree nuts, could be life-threatening.
Fresh Express takes all matters of food safety very seriously, including the issue of allergens. Company procedures and programs stringently follow all mandated regulations and focus on preventive measures designed to minimize potential risks. Fresh Express is coordinating closely with the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and is conducting a full investigation into this isolated event.
Consumers in possession of the recalled product should discard it. A refund is available where purchased or by contacting the Fresh Express Consumer Response Center toll-free at (800) 242-5472 during the hours of 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. Eastern Time.
Recalled Product Details
• Fresh Express Baby Spinach – 12 oz. bag
• Product Code of G010A17A and Use-By Date of January 24 located in the upper right hand corner on the front of the bag
• UPC Code of 0 71279 27111 8 located on the reverse side of the bag by the bar code
Recalled Product Distribution
Fresh Express Precautionary Recall, Baby Spinach – 1/15/16
(No other Fresh Express Salads are included in this recall)
Brand PRODUCT NAME SIZE UPC PRODUCTION CODE BEST IF USED BY DATE POSSIBLE DISTRIBUTION STATES
Fresh Express Baby Spinach 12 oz. 0 71279 27111 8 G010A17A 24-Jan CT, DE, FL, GA, MA, ME, MD, NC, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm482136.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.629.7263.