First Source Recalls “Various Products Containing Sunflower Kernels Received From Our Supplier Sunopta” Because of Possible Health Risk, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
First Source Recalls “Various Products Containing Sunflower Kernels Received From Our Supplier Sunopta” Because of Possible Health Risk
For Immediate Release
May 23, 2016
1 (716) 389-0264
FIRST SOURCE of Tonawanda, NY, is recalling the following items because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes:
• 15 LBS Alpine Valley Fitness Mix with lot code BD 161021
• 15 LBS Alpine Valley Yogurt Fruit/Nut Mix with lot code BD 161261
• Alpine Tub “Roasted & Salted Sunflower Kernels” 10.25oz with Best By 03-24-17
• Alpine Tub “Roasted & Unsalted Sunflower Kernels” 10.25oz with Best By 3-23-17, 3-30-17, 5-3-17
• Wegmans square tub “Fitness Mix” 20oz with Best By 12-24-16
• Wegmans square tub “Sunshine Cranberry Delight” 20oz with Best By 12/15/16, 1-7-17, 2-9-17
• 15 LBS Alpine Valley Sunshine Cranberry Delight with Lot Code BD 161021 and BD 161261
• Flave Fitness Mix 8oz with Best By 4-20-17 and 05-02-17
• Flave Tropical Trail Mix 8oz with Best By 4-20-17
• Flave Oriental Mix 6oz with Best By 3-10-17 and 4-21-17
• Flave Sunflower Seeds 7.5oz with Best By 4-20-17
• Gonzo 2 Go “Sunshine Cranberry Delight” 4.5oz with Best By 2-10-17
• Gonzo 2 Go “Fitness Mix” 5oz with Best By 1-7-17
• Stewarts Sunshine Cranberry Delite 5oz with Best By 1-18-17
• Tops square tub “Roasted & Unsalted Sunflower Kernels” 10.25 with Best By 3-30-17, 5-3-17
• Tops square tub “Roasted & Salted Sunflower Kernels” 10.25 with Best By 1-28-17
Listeria monocytogenes, is an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled items were distributed in the following states via retail stores: IN, LA, MA, MD, MI, NJ, NY, PA,VA, WV & SC, between 3/11/2016 and 5/21/2016.
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
The potential for contamination was noted after we received notification from our sunflower kernel supplier SunOpta pertaining to positive Listeria monocytogenes results.
Consumers who have purchased any of these items are urged to destroy the product. If customers have further distributed any of these items, please immediately contact your accounts, advise them of the recall situation, and have them return their outstanding recalled stocks to you and maintain and share your record of the destruction of these items. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1 (716) 389–0264, Monday – Friday, 8am – 5pm, ET.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm502736.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery