Join us for the second annual Food Bank Day at the State Capitol! Registration at http://www.kafb.org/food-bank-day/Wednesday February 4, 2015 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m. EST Kentucky State Capitol 700 Capital Avenue Frankfort, KY 40601
This event is free and breakfast is provided at no charge.
Please wear something orange to show your support of hunger relief!
Registration deadline: 1/28/15.
Questions? Call 859-358-6719 or email [email protected]
Anyone who has an interest in hunger relief in Kentucky is welcome to participate! The purpose of the day is to share our expertise with policymakers, provide a voice for hungry Kentuckians, and increase the resources available to fight hunger in Kentucky.
Specific goals and activities for the 2015 Food Bank Day at the Capitol:
- Increased knowledge of hunger in Kentucky among elected officials.
- Discuss the results of the Hunger in Kentucky 2014 study.
- Share stories about hunger in legislators’ districts: who is struggling with hunger and what is being done to fight hunger.
- Continued commitment among elected officials to provide state funding for food banks.
- Thank legislators for the $1.2M appropriation for the Farms to Food Banks program in the current state budget.
- Provide a report of the program impact to date.
- 8:00 a.m. EST – welcome and orientation in Annex cafeteria
- 8:30 – breakfast with legislators in Annex cafeteria
- 10:00 – Rally in the Rotunda
Speakers:Governor Steve Beshear (invited) Commissioner of Agriculture James Comer (confirmed) Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes (invited) Attorney General Jack Conway (invited)
- 11:00 – 2:00 – 1:1 meetings with legislators; lunch on your own
- 1:00 – Optional: tour of Capitol building
- 2:00 – Optional: gallery passes available for the House or Senate
Directions and helpful information
Click here for a PDF version of this information.
- Photo ID is required to enter the Capitol and Annex.
- If you are heading east on I-64:
Take Frankfort exit 53B.
Merge onto US-127.
Go .7 mi.
Turn right onto E-W Connector/KY-676 East.
Go 1.5 mi.
Turn left onto KY-420/Old Lawrenceburg Rd.
Watch for the entrance to the garage on the left, or go 1.7 mi. and turn left onto Capitol Ave.
The State Capitol is at 700 Capitol Ave.
- If you are heading west on I-64:
Take Frankfort exit 58.
Turn right onto US-60/Versailles Rd.
Go 1.7 mi.
Turn left onto E-W Connector/KY-676
Go 3.8 mi.
Turn right onto Ky-420/Old Lawrenceburg Rd.
Turn left at Capitol Ave.
The State Capitol is at 700 Capitol Ave.
- Navigating inside the Capitol and Annex:
- Once in the Capitol Parking Garage: take the parking garage elevator up to Level 1 (Level 6 is the bottom level of the garage).
- When you exit the garage from the elevator at Level 1, go straight ahead through the glass doors to the outside parking lot. The Capitol Annex is directly ahead of you and the Capitol building (with the dome) is to your right.
- Entering the Capitol Annex: Walk straight ahead on the ground level from the garage and then up the stairs to the plaza level. Go inside the Visitor Entrance doors and through the electronic metal detector. You should check in with the security guard and be given a visitor’s sticker.
- All of the Committee meeting rooms (numbered in the 100’s) are on this floor. You can ask the security guard for directions or look for signs posted on the walls down the corridor.
- To get to the cafeteria take the elevator or the stairs down one floor to the basement of the Annex. From the elevator, turn right (from the steps, turn left) and walk down the corridor, past the intersecting corridor. The cafeteria is on your right.
- Going to the Capitol from the Annex: At the basement level, exit the elevator to your left or the stairs to your right and proceed to the long underground tunnel that connects the Capitol and the Capitol Annex. At the Capitol end, you will come up some stairs and be facing a small snack bar. There is an elevator to the right and stairs to the left which will take you to the first floor (Rotunda) or up to the 3rd floor (House chamber at one end and Senate chamber at the other).