Essential Foods Recalls Four Flavors of Globespun Gourmet Wraps Because of Possible Health Risk
For Immediate Release
June 16, 2016
Essential Foods Inc.
Essential Foods Inc. of Seattle, Washington is voluntarily recalling four flavors of Globespun Gourmet 8oz wraps because an ingredient (peas) has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The recalled Globespun Gourmet wraps were distributed in Washington and Oregon to grocery outlets and corporate cafeterias.
The products come in 8oz, plastic wrapped, ready to eat form. The affected products are the following flavors:
• Globespun Gourmet Thai UPC#3232800405
• Globespun Gourmet Coconut Curry UPC#3232800210
• Globespun Gourmet Tandoori- flavors of India UPC#3232800211
• Globespun Gourmet Dolma La- Tibetan potato UPC#3232800503
The products have a date stamp of 06 17, 06 20 and 06 24 on the bottom of the wrap.
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
The potential for contamination is connected to a recall of frozen peas which had the potential of testing positive for Listeria monocytogens. Peas are used in the above recipes and are therefore affiliated with the recall.
The production of the product has been suspended while FDA and our supplier work to resolve the source of the issue.
Consumers who have purchased 8oz Globespun Gourmet Thai, Coconut Curry, Tandoori or Dolma La wraps are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-206-545-4194
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm507326.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery