Earnest Eats Recalls Earnest Eats Dark Chocolate Almond Chewy Granola Bars Because of Possible Health Risk, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
Earnest Eats Recalls Earnest Eats Dark Chocolate Almond Chewy Granola Bars Because of Possible Health Risk
Solana Beach, CA – June 17, 2016 – Earnest Eats is voluntarily recalling Earnest Eats Dark Chocolate Almond Bars 6.2 oz. cartons only with the specific lot codes indicated below because they contain sunflower seeds that have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
This recall was initiated when our sunflower seed supplier, SunOpta, notified us of the recall due to the possibility that some sunflower kernels may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes.
We would like to reassure all of our customers that we have not received any reports of consumers being affected by illness to date. The following recalled product was distributed nationwide online and to retail stores between March 1 and June 17, 2016, with best before dates indicated below. No other Earnest Eats products are affected:
Earnest Eats 6.2 oz. Dark Chocolate Almond Chewy Granola Bars – 5 ct carton Product UPC Codes are:
• 891048001636 (individual bars sold only in 5-ct carton)
• 891048001667 (5-ct carton)
• 891048001674 (12-ct master corrugated case)
• Best Before Dates 29APR17
Recall return instructions are listed below:
• Consumers who have purchased the above product are urged not to consume the product and to dispose of them, ensuring product is destroyed in a manner that makes it unfit for eating. Consumers may return affected product for a full refund at point-of-purchase.
• Retailers that have purchased the recalled product are instructed to return it to their original supplier for credit, or arrange credit with their supplier and destroy the product. Product must be destroyed in a manner that makes it unfit for eating.
• Distributors that have purchased the recalled product should inventory the product and destroy it, providing to Earnest Eats an accounting of all product destroyed with lot codes and proof of destruction. Product must be destroyed in a manner that makes it unfit for eating. Distributors should also immediately instruct any customers that have purchased recalled product to destroy or return to distributor for credit.
Any questions can be directed to Earnest Eats by [email protected] or by calling customer service at 1-888-264-4599 between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. PST, Monday through Friday.
No other Earnest Eats products are affected by this recall.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm507521.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery