Culinary Brands Inc. Recalls Pork Products Due to Misbranding and Undeclared Allergen
Class II Recall083-2015
Health Risk: LowMay 22, 2015
Congressional and Public Affairs
WASHINGTON, May 22, 2015 – Culinary Brands Inc., a Vernon, Calif. establishment, is recalling approximately 4,038 pounds of pork products due to misbranding and an undeclared allergen, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today. The pork product was mistakenly mislabeled and may contain the wrong product, a mushroom risotto which contains wheat, a known allergen which is not declared on the product label.
The pork chile verde product was produced on March 30 and April 2, 2015. The following product is subject to recall: [View Label]
• 9-oz. plastic tray packages labeled “Simply Balanced Pork Chile Verde” bearing lot #A5089G2.
The products subject to recall bear the establishment number “EST. 6009” inside the USDA mark of inspection. These items produced were shipped to retail locations nationwide.
The problem was discovered after the firm received a customer complaint that the package contained the wrong product.
FSIS and the company have received no reports of adverse reactions due to consumption of these products. Anyone concerned about an injury or illness should contact a healthcare provider.
FSIS routinely conducts recall effectiveness checks to verify recalling firms notify their customers of the recall and that steps are taken to make certain that the product is no longer available to consumers.
Consumers and media with questions about the recall can contact Frank Calma, Chief Executive Officer, at (626) 289-3000 (ext. 116).
Consumers with food safety questions can “Ask Karen,” the FSIS virtual representative available 24 hours a day at AskKaren.gov or via smartphone at m.askkaren.gov. The toll-free USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline 1-888-MPHotline (1-888-674-6854) is available in English and Spanish and can be reached from l0 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Eastern Time) Monday through Friday. Recorded food safety messages are available 24 hours a day. The online Electronic Consumer Complaint Monitoring System can be accessed 24 hours a day at: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/reportproblem.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/recalls-and-public-health-alerts/recall-case-archive/archive/2015/recall-083-2015-release
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.629.7263.