Chetak New York L.L.C. Recalls 7 Oz., 14 Oz., & 28 Oz. Packages of “Deep Raw Cashew Pieces” Because of Possible Health Risk, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
FDA posts press releases and other notices of recalls and market withdrawals from the firms involved as a service to consumers, the media, and other interested parties. FDA does not endorse either the product or the company.
Chetak New York L.L.C. Recalls 7 Oz., 14 Oz., & 28 Oz. Packages of “Deep Raw Cashew Pieces” Because of Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE — October 27, 2014 — Edison, NJ — Chetak New York L.L.C. of Edison, NJ is recalling its 5560 packages of 7oz., 3840 packages of 14oz., & 1920 packages of 28oz. “DEEP RAW CASHEW PIECES” because they have the potential to be contaminated with Salmonella, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection withSalmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
The recalled “Deep Raw Cashew Pieces” were distributed nationwide in retail stores from March 12, 2014 to October 21,2014. The product comes in a 7 oz., 14oz., & 28oz. clear plastic package marked with UPC number on the rear of the package.
- UPC number for 7oz. is 011433133104
- UPC number for 14oz. is 011433133111
- UPC number for 28oz. is 011433133128
No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with this problem.
The potential for contamination was noted after routine testing conducted by the FDA.
Consumers who have purchased 7oz., 14oz., & 28 oz. packages of “Deep Raw Cashew Pieces” are urged to return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. Consumers with questions may contact the company at 1-973-835-1906 from 9 am- 5 pm EST.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm420689.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 312.629.7263.