Bonduelle USA Recalls Frozen Corn Because Of Possible Health Risk
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – August 31, 2015 – Brockport, NY – Bonduelle USA Inc. of Brockport, NY is recalling 9,335 cases of frozen corn because it has the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The frozen cut corn was distributed to stores in the following states: New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Vermont, Massachusetts, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Florida, Mississippi and Louisiana.
The affected frozen cut corn was distributed in poly bags under the following labels and codes:
• WYLWOOD Super Sweet Whole Kernel Corn, NET WT. 16 OZ (1 LB), UPC 051933002401, Codes: Best By June 2017 K51564 and K51574;
• MARKET BASKET Cut Corn, NET WT. 16 OZ. (1 LB.), UPC 049705693414, Code: Best By June 2017 K51574;
• Bountiful Harvest WHOLE KERNEL CUT CORN, NET WT. 40 OZ. (2.5 LBS.), UPC 822486120597, Code: Best By June 2017 K51574;
• WEST CREEK FROZEN VEGETABLES Cut Corn, NET WT. 2.5 LBS., UPC 00806795285239 Code: Best By June 2017 K51574.
The company has not received any complaints in relation to this product and is not aware of any illnesses associated with the product to date.
The recall was the result of product being tested at retail by the State of Tennessee which had tested positive for Listeria monocytogenes. The company has ceased distribution of the product, and the company and US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) continue their investigation as to what caused the problem. The company is fully cooperating with the FDA.
Consumers who purchased the product are urged not to consume this product and throw it away. Consumers requiring refund or with questions may contact the company at 1-877-990-2662, Monday – Friday, 9 am – 4 pm EST.
RSS Feed for FDA Recalls Information [what’s this?]
Photos: Product Labels
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm460634.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery
If you have questions, please contact Wayne Melichar, Food Safety Manager, at [email protected] or 312.629.7263.