BI-LO Store in Glennville, GA Recalls Cantaloupes Due to Potential Health Risk
For Immediate Release
March 3, 2016
Customer Call Center
Sr. Director; Communications
View Product Photos
Glennville, Ga. – BI-LO, LLC, today announced an immediate recall for one BI-LO store in Glennville, GA (#5744) for fresh products containing cantaloupe, because they have the potential to be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes, an organism which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
The address of the affected store is:
312 S. Veterans Blvd.
Glennville, GA 30427
No other BI-LO stores are affected by this recall.
The recall is in response to a positive test of Listeria monocytogenes from a sample taken by the Georgia Department of Agriculture, from a medium-sized container of cantaloupe chunks, as communicated to BI-LO on Feb. 29, 2016.
The product is marked on the scale label as “BI-LO Cantaloupe Chunks Medium,” in medium plastic bowls with a lid, and had a sell-by date of 2/24/16.
Out of an abundance of caution, all BI-LO brand products containing fresh cantaloupe with a sell-by date of 2/24/16, are also being recalled at this store as follows:
• Cantaloupe Chunks (sizes medium and large) in plastic bowl with lid
• Cantaloupe Halves in styrofoam trays wrapped in clear plastic
• Cantaloupe Slices in styrofoam trays wrapped in clear plastic
• Mixed Melon Chunks (sizes medium and large) in plastic bowl with lid
• Mixed Fruit Bowl (sizes medium and large) in plastic bowl with lid
• Fruit Tray Cantaloupe in plastic tray with lid
Customers should not consume these products and should return them to the store for a full refund. To receive the refund, customers may present proof of purchase through a receipt or the product-packaging label. To date, there have been no reports of any issues or illness associated with consumption of these products.
BI-LO #5744 has been fully compliant with the Georgia Department of Agriculture and has sanitized all areas of the store as requested, as well as the complete withdrawal and destruction of all fresh cantaloupe products within the affected sell-by date range. Customers with questions about the recalled products may contact the Customer Call Center toll free at 866-946-6349, Mon. – Fri., 8 a.m. – 7 p.m. EDT, and Sat., 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. EDT.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm489136.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery