Additional Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars Recalled as a Result of Expanded Sunflower Kernel Contamination by SunOpta, With 0 Comments, Category: Recalls,
Additional Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars Recalled as a Result of Expanded Sunflower Kernel Contamination by SunOpta
For Immediate Release
June 2, 2016
The Quaker Oats Company, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, Inc., today announced a second voluntary recall of all Quaker® Quinoa Granola Bars, as a result of further sunflower kernel contamination found by ingredient supplier SunOpta.
On May 16, 2016, Quaker took the cautionary measure to issue the voluntary recall on a small quantity of their Quinoa Bars that were potentially impacted by sunflower kernels received from SunOpta that were potentially contaminated withListeria monocytogenes (L.mono).
L.mono is an organism, which can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Since May 16, SunOpta has conducted additional testing on sunflower kernels that extended beyond the original dates of concern provided. That testing is complete and as a result, out of an abundance of caution and care for the consumer, Quaker has made the decision to expand the initial recall.
The products were distributed nationwide and the company is now recalling all of the following Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars:
• 6.1 ounce boxes of Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars Chocolate Nut Medley with UPC code 30000 32241 and Best Before Dates before 11/15/16.
• 6.1 ounce boxes of Quaker Quinoa Granola Bars Yogurt, Fruit & Nut with UPC 30000 32243 and Best Before Dates before 11/15/16.
Pictures of the products are available on www.quakeroats.com .
Consumers who have purchased this particular product are urged to dispose of or return them to the place of purchase for a full refund. They can also direct any questions to 800-856-5781, Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. (EST), or find more information at www.quakeroats.com .
At this time there are no other Quaker products involved in this situation. The company is working closely with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and SunOpta to further investigate this issue and ensure it has been contained.
* We believe that none of the products being recalled were processed or offered through the national office.
* We strongly encourage you to notify your agencies within one business day from receipt of this notice.
* ALL cased and uncased inventories, both at the member level and agency level, need to be checked. This product may have entered member and agency warehouses through salvage, local donations, TEFAP, local purchases, retail pickups, food drives, or other avenues.
* For additional local details, please contact the Health Department(s) for the area(s) your food bank serves.
For full details on the recall, please visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm504754.htm?source=govdelivery&utm_medium=email&utm_source=govdelivery